Monday, April 21, 2008

Page Rank

Page Rank is Google's way of measuring your page's worth. It is an indicator of the value of a certain page in the world wide web.

It can be a combination of different factors on how it is being tallied and calculated, It may be because of the number of websites linking back to your site and the number of unique visitors (not spam!).

In a layman's point of view, it shows that if you have a high page rank, then you have a high chance of being "WANTED" by different advertisers. Because if you have a high rank in the eyes of Google, then more so do advertisers want you more. It is represented with the numerical values 0 until 10; with zero being the lowest and of course, ten being highest.

Honestly, I don't have that much understanding how to increase the page rank. However, to give you a clue, my site: soloflighted.com was still starting to generate some traffic; suddenly it went up to a page rank of 3! I was ecstatic. However, because I had to go somewhere during a holiday break, I was not able to update my blog. When I came back to check it, *&#^*&^$, it went down to being 0. Right now, I'm having a hard time recovering it.

What I use to check my page rank is prchecker.info. You might wonder when you check your blog/site's rank by entering your URL there, it might get a result of NA. This is because your page is not yet indexed/recorded in Google; because most likely it's still new, or nobody visits that page often enough to make a mark in the cyberworld.

Of course, if your site is still new, you won't get a page rank that easily as it takes some time to generate traffic to your site. Just to leave a note, page rank is not the be all and end all, but I can say that it does have a huge impact if you have a high position.

But what I did to try to gain traffic from different sites out there to at least get a higher rank will be discussed next.

2 comments:

Yearn to travel said...

Hey Ed,
Your post are really helpful. i know that being sick and being away from the blog for weeks made a big difference in my traffic. i too have not quite recovered traffic wise. Getting posts in regularly is definitely a big part of it. I can't wait to read more from you site.
Medelise

Edcel said...

ey, thanks medelise! hopefully, i'll be able to blog some more about it! hehe