Saturday, May 10, 2008

importance of having a domain

I bought a domain already. But it's a domain for a personal blog that I'm not publicizing much. The reason why I bought one is because of some certain limitations of having a just a blogger or a Wordpress account.

Here's what happened. I created a personal blog in Wordpress. I posted some entries until it reached a certain number of posts and I made sure that it would be ready to get accepted by paid post sites. I signed up for some accounts already; some sites approved my blog, some didn't because it's not yet ranked. But there was one paid post site that informed me that they wouldn't accept that Wordpress account because Wordpressdoesn't allow paid posts in its site. My eyes became wide open at that time, being dumbfounded. And I thought Wordpress was all that. According to the TOS (Terms of Service), they really don't allow paid posts. So I resulted to just buying my own domain and host, that's what you get for not reading. sheesh.

Because I didn't want to move all my entries to another account like blogger/blogspot that allows paid posts (since I also have two other accounts here, edearns.blogspot.com and edsnaps.blogspot.com, I suddenly bought a site already. That was the driving factor for leading me to getting my own domain.

Other factors that are still important are that paid post sites would give priority to those sites that have their own domain. So, even if your free blogger account gets approved, advertisers would still hire you if your blog is worthy. It's just that they'd give more importance to those who aren't hosted to a free account.

Also, since I didn't know how to set up my own site. Because of this, I'm able to understand the concept of FTP servers and PHP permissions and plug-ins. This will add to my credibility since I have encountered the many frustrations of building a site; especially that I'm not a technical person. I just like to learn a lot so I won't look like a fool when people ask me questions on how I did what and where.

In the mean time, just to clarify things, you can still use a free blogger account (I guess blogspot would still be the best choice). As for me, I have to deal with some paid post sites that I've already created tasks for. I hope it wouldn't be back to the drawing board.created tasks for and see how to manage this predicament.

At least the hosting isn't that expensive, actually it's quite cheap for me. I don't even know how to compare it with other hosting services out there. But I got this data from a colleague at work who's credibility I don't have any question about. So I tried this host out for myself. If ever you're interested, you can click the banner below which serves as my referral bonus if some of you might want to purchase an account. I bought the host for a dollar a month, their most affordable package.

Reliable $1 Web Hosting by 3iX

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... that's true. Some advertisers shun upon free-hosted domain blogs. They think free-hosted bloggers aren't seriously about blogging. That's a sad fact. But let me just humbly say that out of 2 free-hosted domains I made over $2000 in blog earnings. At the height of my blog earning, both of my blogs we're Pagerank 4's so I think some of those advertisers didn't mind my free-hosted blogs.

These days, one of my blogs got spanked and reduced to PR0 so I hardly make any money out of it. Good thing I'm still left with one PR3 blog so I can still earn some. BTW, that PR3 blog that I still have is still a free hosted blogspot blog.

I also bought a domain for my call center blog which I'm still trying to improve rankings but it is still free-hosted on the Servers of Google. I think you should have just went with blogspot for all your blogs on the onset. Free-hosted wordpress sucks in a lot of ways.

I hope everything turns out well for you. Thanks.

Edcel said...

$2000 in 6 months? wow, congrats dude! thanks for the comment! I'm still starting with my two other sites, I'm just waiting till my page gets ranked by google. But I have a questions too, how come it's so hard to bring back the pagerank? my soloflighted.com had a PR 3, it went down and I was never able to put it back up. sheesh. good luck to our blogs! :)

faeryrowan said...

Earning $2000 in six months is awesome! I'd settle for anything less as long as I earn. Talk about being "kugihan". =)